Wednesday, March 31, 2010

The Ordinary, Mundane, Trivial Routine...

I hate it...the ordinary, mundane, trivial routine that keeps my life afloat. The day in and day out "stuff" that has to get done in order for my life to function normally. Making beds, doing laundry, cleaning bathrooms, doing dishes (14 times a day), making breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Grocery shopping, taking kids to and from lessons and parties and functions. Church. Bible studies. Classes. It is the things that we do EVERY single week that never seem to be done! No matter how many times I sweep that kitchen floor, I know in a matter of hours, it will need to be swept YET again! And after a while, my mind becomes numb...my heart lacks the passion for life it once had. I begin to wonder if this is all of me? The girl with the dreams and goals...the woman who aspired to become GREAT...the one who longed for foreign lands, travel and adventure. How do I become a sold out follower of Jesus when most days I simply struggle in following my children around the house, picking up and setting things straight.

But then, in the mind-numbing, humdrum routine of reality I hear that whispered prompting. I feel the presence of the Holy Spirit. I sense the earth quaking in the stillness of my heart. And then He calls out my name. He bids me come. He meets me where I am. He reveals a glimpse of Who He is. And I am AT ONCE overwelmed by the beauty of the life He has granted me. He shows me that He has given me my dreams and goals...they are wrapped in pictures of toothless grins and silly faces. He chooses to show me greatness in terms of selfless service and humilty to those around me. And the foreign lands, my neighbors and family. Travel...hello, I live in ALASKA. And adventure, well I can almost see Him shaking His head with a HUGE smile on His face as he speaks the single word, TRAVIS.

And so, in my moment with my Lord, I realize that my daily, loathed routine is all in the eye of the beholder. For with the right heavenly perspective, my ordinary, mundane, trivial routine can be turned into a glorious, heart-song act of worship for my Creator.

1 comment:

Whitney said...

Just what I needed to read today. Thanks, Blair!