Friday, July 16, 2010

His Will

Why are we so stubborn? Why do we insist on our own will and way, when we know in the deepest of our heart, God's is so much better! Even when we don't understand...we may think He is being unreasonable or just pure CRAZY...deep down, we know that His outcome always outshines ours! Why? B/c we know He is faithful! That He loves us more than our human minds can comprehend! We have seen Him work ALL THINGs for our good! He has proven Himself OVER AND OVER again! And for CRAZY? Well, we all know that those are the exact moments that He chooses to BLOW OUR MINDS AWAY!



Last night we had a complete stand still with our youngest, LUKE. That little boy, who has captured the hearts of all who see him...who lights up the room with the biggest, cheesiest smiles you have ever seen, that little boy is one stubborn kid! If he gets it in his mind that he doesn't want to do something, he WON"T! No matter what we do, or say, or no matter what bribes we throw his way, he stands his ground!
Travis and I were trying to get him to open his mouth so we could see what object he had put inside yet again. We coaxed, we pleaded, we demanded, we waited, we tried to pry that little mouth open, and all to no avail! He clamped that mouth shut and he wasn't going to budge. He refused! We had his best interest in mind...we didn't want him to swallow anything that could harm him...we love him and are only concerned for the best...but none of that mattered to my 1yr old last night! For a couple of minutes, he had the power. (or so he thought) Travis and I both were getting frustrated, worried, upset. And I wish I could give a grand ending to the story...but I can't. That little sucker swallowed whatever he had in his mouth and then SMILED! We were baffled! His little sin-nature had won out, and he was delighting in it. We popped him on the mouth and explained to him that what he had done was wrong. Now how much of all that he understood, I don't know. But he knew that he hadn't "won" after all. Daddy's pop to the mouth hurt his feelings so bad. He cried and cried! But daddy and I, seeing the tears fall freely, knew that, for his own safety next time, had to relate to this litte guy that disobedience required consequence. It wasn't fun for any involved. But Luke crawled over to us, climbed up in our laps, and laid his head down on our shoulders. He was saying sorry. We loved on him and cuddled that sweet baby! No matter what "wrong" he may do, we will always love him. He is ours! We will wait patiently for him to see the "right" and choose good. And when he doesn't, we will still be there, waiting with open arms to love.

It just made me think of my relationship with my HEAVENLY FATHER. Why do I buck His will? Why do I close my eyes sometimes and pretend He isn't there? He doesn't make me obey. He doesn't bend my will for me. He waits (probably much more patiently than I did for Lukey) and is standing with arms wide open. But how much do I loose out on in the process? I've faced consequences to my "sin". And it hurts. Yet, time and time again I try and fight His will for me. When I finally do surrender there is nothing but joy and celebration. I praise Him for the illustrations He places all around us! He is so relational! We are blessed!

No comments: