Thursday, October 28, 2010

Longing...

Have you ever longed for something so heavily that words could not explain the feeling so deep inside? This morning as I sit writing, thoughts of Korea are on my heart. How I loved it there! That will always be a special place to me! I love serving overseas! It is a passion within my soul that only God could have ever set aflame! And it is funny, b/c in "serving" overseas, I have always been "served" far more than my heart could have ever given! God has used those times in my life to break me, mold me, completely remodel my heart into something that resembles more of Him! Why there? Why not here? I've thought of those questions many times...sit and pondered within myself. Here are a few conclusions I have reached...

1. I think being away from your home country makes one vulnerable in ways never before experienced. You are no longer on your own "turf". The language is foreign, the soil is foreign, the culture and people are all different that your "normal". You are FAR from your comfort zone...and it puts you in a place sensitive to God like never before. You are depending on Him in ways that you never have thought necessary. He is all of a sudden, needed EVERY step! Literally!

2. You have chosen to forsake what is "home" to venture out and fulfill the "great commandment." Yes, I know that you can do that here, in the states as well. But when you are willing "go" to a foreign land, you are making a choice to be uncomfortable. So, when the discomfort comes, you expect it. You even smile in the midst of it. B/c you are right where God wants you to be and YOU KNOW IT! Living here, in our normal day to day lives, we forget that we called to "be set apart". We loose focus of our calling to tell others the "good news". We get caught up in "getting ahead"...in "making a name" for ourselves...in climbing ladders...gaining riches...attaining status...bettering ourselves, that we forget about the KINGDOM PURPOSE that all of us believers are called unto!

3. We are on an adventure! All of a sudden, our normal life has taken on this great and crazy adventure! Everything is "different". Fascinating! Just venturing to the grocery store has become a wild excursion! I believe your senses are heightened! You take in everything as new and exciting! All of a sudden, grapes and oranges are the grandest things b/c of the unique and cute packaging! You are eager to drink it all in...eager to learn and experience life in new and wonderful ways! Talking to strangers is a fun and challenging undertaking! You smile at everyone you see, b/c you are different! You notice them noticing YOU! You stand out! And for the first time ever, you love it!

So why is it, that in our own neighborhood, we try so hard to "fit in". We want to even "blend in". We don't want to stand out...we walk with our heads down trying to make it back to our little homes unnoticed and untouched. We don't want to talk to anyone...we are selfish with our time! Smiling and engaging strangers is the LAST thing on our agenda! And heaven forbid we become FLEXIBLE! We have our schedules...and they must be met! Lord help the ones who get in our way!

4. And one last conclusion I've reached is...COMMUNITY! That is something my soul longs for daily! The feeling of community you have overseas in a Christian environment is unbeatable! I have been on many mission trips in my life, and that is one of my favorite things by far! The feeling of connecting with other believers, the joining of hearts, the unifying under the Spirit of God...nothing in all the world can top that! You are all there with one heart, one purpose! You share in each others joy and triumphs, and weep in sorrow for each others struggles and failures. Friendships are formed for eternity! Real, honest, truthful relationships are built and love is formed that knows no end!

These are just a few thoughts that I have been reflecting on this morning. God has been BEYOND good to me! He has allowed me to be apart of His work...here and afar! He has allowed me to meet some of His favorite children...and share in their lives here on earth! He has woven friendships within my heart that will stand until eternity! And the precious souls that He has used to help mold me into His most glorious creation...let me just tell you..."we are gonna dance together on those streets that are golden!" We will one day worship our King, hand in hand, before His very throne! I am so thankful that I have had the privilege of knowing you this side of heaven...and I can't wait for the day that we will...."join in the song of the Lamb!"

No comments: